Official Name: National High School Manga Championship (Since 1992)
Manga Koshien is a competition where high school students compete for the position of Number 1 by creating one-page manga.
About 300 high school teams, comprising three to five students each, enter every year. Of these, 30 teams are selected to go on to the championship round in August. Competing teams battle it out with their ideas, techniques and teamwork, all within a limited amount of time.
Talented students participating in the main round may also be scouted by major manga publishers and perhaps even debut as professionals!
- Announcement of Submission Theme
- Closing Date
- Early June
- Announcement of Results
- Late June
One of five possible themes, which will have been previously announced, will be selected just before the competition begins.
Teams have 5 hours and 30 minutes to complete their manga based on the selected theme. Only 15 teams out of the 33 will move onto the finals.
After the semifinals have ended on the first day, eliminated teams will have until midnight to submit a new work.
Judges and the general public will consider their work, and five out of the 18 teams will be revived to compete in the finals.
Teams will be given 5 hours and 30 minutes, during which they will be so focused on drawing, they might even forget about lunch.
A gong will sound when time is up, and then the only thing the teams can do is pray!
First, Second and Third place teams will be selected along with the winning teams of six other prizes.
- Scouting Professional editors from publishing companies will be present to scout for talented students.
- Symposium “Job-hunting! Grab Your Future with Manga!” ~What Awaits You Beyond Learning Manga~
- Live drawing Live drawing exhibitions by guest manga artists. See for yourselves the speed and talent of famous artists.
- Owarai Manga Dojo A manga training session. Teachers show how to draw manga while talking humorously about their art.
On-site Editorial DepartmentsProfessional editors will be present to evaluate work brought to the event, not just by participating schools and students, but anyone present. This is a rare opportunity for aspiring manga artists, for if you catch the editors’ eyes, you may even get a chance to become a professional manga creator!
for the 26th Manga Koshien
- I-C Corner
- Manga FeaLocal High School Student
- Kuroshio Manga Grand Prize Award Ceremony
- Exhibition of Preliminary Round Entries for the Manga Koshien
- Japan Cartoonists Association Corner
- Kaiyodo Hobby Museum Shimanto/Kappa Museum Display Corner
- Facial Caricature Corner
- National Manken Library
- Manga Reading Corner
- Graffiti Corner
for the 26th Manga Koshien
Businesses and Groups Corner
- Manga Kingdom Tottori
- Association for Municipality Promotion
- Kinkodo Book Store
- Celsys, Inc.
- Hobby Japan Co., Ltd.
- Human Academy Co., Ltd.
- Kawahara Design and Art College
- Osaka Sogo College of Design
- College of International Design and Beauty